Functional Specification Outline

Subject: Functional Specification Outline
From: Nancy Burns <burns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 09:54:40 -0700

Hello TECHWR-Lers,

I would appreciate any advice you can offer on creating an outline template
for functional specifications in any of the following areas:

1) System Software
2) Hardware
3) Optical Systems
4) Mechanical Assemblies

Before requesting your help, I've tried the following:

1) Searched the Web using Alta Vista with the designation, "Functional
Specifications" and "Specifications + Functional". The listings were not as
helpful as I had hoped, but I did see a few home pages with specifications,
mostly for software, that gave me a few ideas.

2) Visited web sites for technical communications issues, but didn't find
anything on functional specifications.

3) Used FTP (file transfer protocol) to the listserv for techwr-l to GET
files referencing functional specs, but I must have used the wrong GET
commands because that didn't work.

Nancy S. Burns, Technical Writer
National Solar Observatory
P.O. Box 26732