Re: help! Word and Robohelp open Frame

Subject: Re: help! Word and Robohelp open Frame
From: Chuck Martin <chuck_martin -at- FWB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:04:39 GMT

sarah -at- teleport -dot- com (Sarah Perrault) wrote:

>When I try to open a word or a robohelp doc, Frame opens instead. With
>word I can get around this by opening word, then opening the doc from
>inside the application. But I can't get *into* robohelp at all --
>either by trying to open an existing document or a new document, Frame
>leaps in, then claims the doc is not a Frame doc. It is frustrating, to
>say the least.

>I have tried to find information in the manual on how to stop this
>problem, but to no avail. I am going to be bald soon if this keeps up...

>Any help would be very much appreciated.

>Thanks!

>Sarah

It sounds like you're trying to describe opening a documnet file by
double-clicking on it. If this is true, then these files are
associated with Frame instead of Word. It's not at all a RoboHelp or a
Frame problem (unless Frame changed associations of .DOC files on
install).

You don't say what platform you are on, Windows 3.x, Winodws 95, or
Mac.

If Windows 3.x:
1. Start File Manager.
2. From the File menu, choose Associate....
3. In the Files With Extension text box, type ".DOC" (without the
quotes).
4. In the Associate With list, scroll to and select Microsoft Word
Document.
If Microsoft Word Document is not in the list, click Browse and
look for WINWORD.EXE (Your Word program; it should be in the driectory
you installed it in).
5. Click OK.
You should now be able to double-click on Word documents and start
Word.
NOTE: This is also the procedure for Windows NT.

If Windows 95:
1. Start Windows Explorer.
2. From the View menu, choose Options....
3. Click the File Types tab.
4. In the Registerred file types list, scroll down to Microsoft Word
Document.
If Microsoft Word document does not appear on the list, reinstall
Word. (You can also add it as a type, but this is beyond the scope of
this procedure.)
5. Select Microsoft Word Document. At the bottom of the dialog box,
you should see that it Opens with Frame.
6. Click Edit.
7. In the Actions list, select open, then click Edit.
8. Click Browse and look for WINWORD.EXE. (Your Word program; it
should be in the directory you installed it in.)
9. Click OK all the way out.
You should now be able to double-click on Word documents and start
Word.

If a Mac:
I think this has to do with the file type as registered in the
resource fork, but that would mean (I think) that your "Word" files
would show a Frame icon. The only solution I know here is to reinstall
Word.

--
"You don't look American."
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net