Re: Tutorials in Help. . .

Subject: Re: Tutorials in Help. . .
From: Martyn Thirlway <thirlwaym -at- USOFT -dot- NL>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:43:00 PDT

Dave -
I agree that you need a definition of context-sensitive tutorial. There seem
to be several ways of looking at this:

1. Where the help file just runs another application (easily done with a
help macro)
2. Where the user can answer questions IN THE HELP WINDOW, and the final
info is passed to the application (currently somewhat tricky)
3. Where the help displays a series of cue cards with Next buttons, but
expects the user to do each step themsleves and then click Next (fairly
straightforward)
4. Same as 3, but where the help does it for them (opening a menu, choosing
an option, for example) This is possible using the TCard macros in W'95
Help, but needs a lot of programming effort
5. Where the software (slowly) moves the mouse pointer, opens a menu,
chooses an option, enters some text, and so on (with the user being a
passive onlooker).

I don't know if this helps - you could also check out QuickCards - I can't
point you at their web site off the top off my head, but there is a thing
called the QuickCard Development Kit. I have had a quick look at it, but
have not yet formed an opinion.

Martyn Thirlway
thirlwaym -at- usoft -dot- nl

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net