Re: Inventing new words?

Subject: Re: Inventing new words?
From: Chuck Blessing <chuck -dot- blessing -at- CBIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 06:56:24 -0500

Sue MacIntosh writes:
>Has any one else run across the the term "prepend?" Aaarrrggghhh! I hate
>it! The way I've seen it used indicates that its some form of "append."
>Instead of something appended to the end of something, it's "prepended" to
>the beginning. YUK.

>There must be a better word than this!

Although appendices are traditionally attached at the end of a document,
"append" can mean that something is attached at the beginning, as well as at
the end. It can also mean that something is attached at the top, bottom,
middle, inside, outside, etc. "Prepend", however, is merely a misguided
arrangement of letters that has no meaning.

Chuck

Chuck Blessing
Cincinnati Bell Information Systems, Inc. (CBIS)
Cincinnati, Ohio
chuck -dot- blessing -at- cbis -dot- com
- OR -
cjb -at- one -dot- net

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net