Revised Administrivia FAQ

Subject: Revised Administrivia FAQ
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- IONET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 10:43:07 PDT

revised: 5/08/96 -- Added Q&A about bounced messages.
4/12/96 -- Added STC URL -- http://stc.org/
2//22/96 -- New listowner address: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

New:
Q: Why did my message bounce back from Compuserve (or
AOL or any other address besides TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU)?
A: You post an article. You get a bounce message a few minutes later. You
swear, "Rats, it didn't work." You post again. Trouble is, you can
get a bounce message because there's one bad address on the subscriber
list (someone who didn't unsubscribe before losing an account, for
instance). The bounce message generally tells you that, if read
carefully -- or you could just wait and see if your article shows up.
So before reposting a "bounced" article, please be sure it was truly
bounced from the LIST and not just undeliverable to a single addressee.
Contact the listowner before reposting if you have any doubt.
(Thanks to Stan Brown for this one. EJR)

SUBSCRIBING, UNSUBSCRIBING, and ADMINISTRIVIA FAQ

Q: How do I subscribe to TECHWR-L?
A: Send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SUB TECHWR-L first_name last_name

For example:
SUB TECHWR-L Eric Ray

Q: How do I unsubscribe?
A: Send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
UNSUB TECHWR-L

Q: How do I post messages to the TECHWR-L list?
A: Send a message to:

Q: Why am I having trouble posting to the list?
A: Due to problems with spamming, the TECHWR-L list
is now restricted. Only subscribers to the list can
post. If you are a subscriber but your E-mail address
(as shown on your outgoing messages) has changed, you'll
have problems. Contact the list owner with your old
and current addresses.
If you read TECHWR-L through the bit.listserv.techwr-l
newsgroup, you'll find that your postings make it to the
newsgroup but then bounce from the listserv. That means
that other news readers will see it, but the approx. 1900
regular subscribers will not. You'll have to subscribe
through E-mail using the procedure below and then use
that E-mail account to post your messages. "Subscribing"
to the news group through your news reader will NOT work.
You can subscribe, then set NOMAIL. That will put you on
the list but allow you to continue with your current
process. Contact the listowner directly with questions.

Q: Why did my message bounce back from Compuserve (or
AOL or any other address besides TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU)?
A: You post an article. You get a bounce message a few minutes later. You
swear, "Rats, it didn't work." You post again. Trouble is, you can
get a bounce message because there's one bad address on the subscriber
list (someone who didn't unsubscribe before losing an account, for
instance). The bounce message generally tells you that, if read
carefully -- or you could just wait and see if your article shows up.
So before reposting a "bounced" article, please be sure it was truly
bounced from the LIST and not just undeliverable to a single addressee.
Contact the listowner before reposting if you have any doubt.
(Thanks to Stan Brown for this one. EJR)

Q: What are digests and how do I get them?
A: Digests are daily mailings which include all
postings to TECHWR-L from the last 24 hours. These
are unedited, and unmoderated--they just give you
one big message instead of many little ones.
To get digests (assuming you are a subscriber),
send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L DIGEST

Q: I want to stop my mail, but I don't want to unsubscribe
because I hate that confirmation process. What do I do?
A: To stop your mail (assuming you are a subscriber),
send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L NOMAIL

Q: I stopped my mail using NOMAIL, and now I want reqular mail. What do
I do?
A: To change back to regular mail,
send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MAIL

Q: I got digests, and now I want reqular mail. What do
I do?
A: To change from digests back to regular mail,
send a message to:
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Leave the subject line blank, and include on the
first line of the message:
SET TECHWR-L MAIL

Q: I would rather read TECHWR-L through a newsgroup. Is this
possible?
A: Look for bit.listserv.techwr-l. If you don't already
have access to it, ask your system administrator to
help.

Q: Who is the listowner and how do I contact him?
A: Eric Ray is the owner (that's me), and my address is
EJRAY -at- IONET -dot- NET

Q: Who is responsible for the information posted to the
list, and who controls what gets posted?
A: The listowner and Oklahoma State University are not
responsible for anything posted to the list. The list is public
and unmoderated, so people who choose to post claim full
responsibility for anything posted under their respective
addresses and userids. The POSTMASTER@<whatever the address is>
is the only other person with any control over individual
postings from any userid.

Q: What is STC and how do I contact them?
A: STC is the Society for Technical Communication, and is
main professional organization for technical
and scientific communicators. Any questions, comments
or suggestions for STC should go to:

Society for Technical Communication
901 N. Stuart Street, Suite 904
Arlington VA 22203-1854
703/522-4114
stc -at- tmn -dot- com
http://stc.org/

Q: How do STC and TECHWR-L relate?
A: They don't officially. Many STC members are on the list,
but most aren't. Many list subscribers are STC members,
but some aren't.

Q: Where do I send additions, corrections, and comments about
this posting?
A: To Eric, the listowner, of course. EJRAY -at- IONET -dot- NET

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net