Help with Relational Database Terminology

Subject: Help with Relational Database Terminology
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 12:48:41 +0000

Howdy!

I am writing the manuals for a relational database
product, and the little men in their clean white
coats will take me away after all this.

I have worked with flat databases for quite awhile.
The programmers around here seem to be very touchy
about how we word things. Simple terms, like "records"
and "fields", have been tossed out and replaced with
"rows" and "columns". I am writing for the very low-
end user and I think they are going to have problems
with these new terms. One plus about all this, it is
a brand new product. I am not having to deal with
older versions.

O.K., here are my questions. Anyone been through this
before and have advise for me? What kind of terms did
you use and how were they received? What worked and
what did not?

I will take any info I can get on how to write about
relational databases.

Also, if you know a good book that puts relational
databases into layman's terms, I'd love to know about
it.

Thanks in advance!!

Melonie

Melonie R. Holliman | ABM Data Systems, Inc.
Technical Writer | 9020 Cap of Tx Hwy, Ste 540
mrh -at- abmdata -dot- com | Austin, TX 78759

The views and opinions expressed here are strictly my own and
do not reflect ABM policy or opinions!!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net