Internal communications

Subject: Internal communications
From: Lawrence Baron <barybaro -at- IOL -dot- IT>
Date: Sun, 12 May 1996 22:21:15 +0100

from Lawrence Baron in Italy = barybaro -at- iol -dot- it

Alison Hello,
===You ask====
>>>I'm looking for advice/book recommendations/tales of personal triumphs
in the area of 'internal corporate communications', i.e. getting a
company's employees to talk to each other.>>>>

Just my personal feelings here; I'm not an expert in these things. But here
goes:

IMHO people do not like sharing information since this is their only weapon
they have when dealing with others in a work environment - it's like giving
away secrets. So the first thing to do is to make sure that by sharing
their information they will not be jeopardising their employment or
prospects in the company. ("We know now, so we do not need you anymore."
sort of argument)

I like the intranet idea; they just have to get used to it. It is also a
means of knowing who contributes more to the company. The positive side of
the above. Use this project (info sharing) as an incentive and not a
means of threatening jobs.

My two pennies worth.

Bye
Lawrence