[no subject]

From: "Higgins, Lisa R." <eilrh -at- EXCHANGE -dot- WCC -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 14:51:00 -0400

>>Of course. The first question you should have asked yourself is, "Why is
>>this guy with 16 years of experience applying for a 3-month contract at
>>US WEST?" Sure, it could happen when the market's slow, but that
>>should've been a red flag for you nonetheless.

>That's bull. There are more reasons than I can state as to why someone
with 16 years >experience would apply for a 3 month contract at US WEST
(or anywhere else).

Of course there are. Three month contracts are the lifeblood of the
contract and freelance communities. They're fast-paced and lucrative and
bite-sized. But when they're in a company the size and temperament of US
WEST, they all too frequently are just like regular employment, but
without even the perception of "security."

First, there's a ceiling on the hourly rates they'll pay you, and as far
as I know, they do not approach what one would need to get to be fairly
compensated for 16 years of quality experience.

Second, US WEST has outsourced much of their workforce (as have many
other large companies) in an attempt to save money, but as a result of
that, even those on the shortest term contracts are often expected to
attend endless, excruciating meetings on company policy and to
participate in bizarre, twisted little brainwashing seminars that try to
eke out some sort of "loyalty" from a largely mercenary workplace.

Now, I'm not sure why other people would be interested in short-term
contracts, but my two primary reasons are money and challenge, and
companies like US WEST generally provide neither, IMO.

Of course, large companies are a little more consistent about paying
their bills, and that is a perfectly valid reason to apply for a job
like that. But I've seen a lot of thoroughly incompetent people with 10+
years experience, and I've seen a hell of a lot of people who lie on
their resumes, so I think it's only reasonable to approach these things
with some skepticism.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net