Re: Netscape Announcement--HTML Help in Navigator 3.0

Subject: Re: Netscape Announcement--HTML Help in Navigator 3.0
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 11:47:01 HST

[David Blyth quotes Matt Hicks comments...]

>*>There are other reasons why, of course, but Macs are now on the
>*>trailing edge of development.

>Which sort of evens the ground, since the Mac OS is still so far ahead of
>the pack.
[and adds his own]
I cut my programming teeth 15 years ago on a UNIX main frame at 2:00 AM.
There is no way you can convince me that Mac OS is ahead of the pack. ;)

The first time I used a home computer (of either PC or Mac ilk) my reaction
was "What do you mean I can't open 10 different shells, start 15 different
Rogue games and background my work?!! Who wrote this piece of junk?!

[to which I add, aimed at Matt's comments]
As a former Mac user, I must say:
Don't confuse the user interface with the OS. The Mac *user interface* is a
highly-refined, highly-developed, aging work of art with some ingrained
idiocies (due to its intensely-ingrown nature). It sits on top of the Mac *OS*,
which is a tinker toy set that makes Mac application programmers do all the
work of supporting that refined user interface.

NeXT has the right idea.

JFOA.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net