Re: Doing your own graphics (an illustrators perspective)

Subject: Re: Doing your own graphics (an illustrators perspective)
From: Michael J Maloney <mmaloney -at- EPIC-ISTI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 12:30:02 -0400

>Where is this resistance coming from? Do those of you who don't think
>that professional designers are valuable actually have training in
>technical writing? Do you respect your field enough to realize that,
>aside from a savant here and there, it's not something people can just
>"pick up" on the side because they have to?

I believe the resistance is caused by US (professional technical
communicators). Actually, it's the lack of resistance which has caused the
situation. I've heard it in a dozen responses.... "no money honey" ..... the
boss made me do it. When the liabilty dollars begin adding up because of
misunderstood illustrations... bingo! I believe the SOLUTION is within us.
Writers have the STC. Although the STC is supposed to be for all technical
communicators, if illustrators were a force within the STC, the
writer/illustrator animal would never have survived. Dig?

UNITED WE STAND......

Michael J. Maloney
President, EPIC Creative Services
2230 Lyndhurst Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28203 USA

President, ISTI (International Society for Technical Illustrators)
http://www.epic-isti.com/epic
Business Phone: 1-704-523-6907
Business Fax: 1-704-522-7504
Home Phone: 1-803-366-6763