Automotive writing

Subject: Automotive writing
From: Mary Howe <thunder -at- IDIR -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 09:24:01 -0500

Hello folks,

I have a friend who has written for automotive magazines quite a bit but who
is interested in doing less journalistic and more technical writing. Do any
of you have suggestions for places to direct him in looking for work (either
contract or permanent)?

This leads me to a just-out-of curiosity question: What industries are
represented on this list? It looks as though computer industry writers are
in the great majority, but what else do people do? I know variants of this
question have been asked before (e.g., how many freelance, how many
permanent, what kinds of tools are used, etc.), but I don't remember this
one exactly.

I'll start the answers with myself. I'm an independent contractor, and in
the short time I've been doing this (since Dec.) I've worked on software
documentation, a power plant annual report, a grant proposal for the
National Eye Institute, and restaurant management training (my current
project).

Mary

Mary Howe
Thunder Works, Inc.