Re: Automotive writing

Subject: Re: Automotive writing
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 12:51:44 -0400

At 09:24 AM 5/15/96 -0500, Mary Howe wrote:

>This leads me to a just-out-of curiosity question: What industries are
>represented on this list? It looks as though computer industry writers are
>in the great majority, but what else do people do? I know variants of this
>question have been asked before (e.g., how many freelance, how many
>permanent, what kinds of tools are used, etc.), but I don't remember this
>one exactly.

My background is process (chemical) engineering, specializing in refining,
gas processing, and petrochemicals. I spent years working for oil companies
and engineering firms as an engineer, and now I freelance as a technical
writer. I also volunteer with local social services agencies (because I
believe I should) and performing arts groups (to keep me sane).

I've written operating and safety manuals; startup and shutdown procedures;
design basis specifications; proposals, qualifications documents, and
requests for proposals; equipment specifications; process control
descriptions; marketing and recruiting information; grant applications;
annual reports for the performing arts groups and social services agencies;
software manuals; client presentations; and all sorts of engineering reports.

My major client right now is a process control engineering firm. They
design, install, and maintain process control systems in refineries and
chemical plants. For them, I produce software manuals, proposals, and
engineering project reports.

I'm the only writer they've ever worked with, so I'm rresponsible for
everything: planning and project management, interviewing SMEs and clients,
writing and editing, page layout, graphics, production, archiving, and
revision tracking for both the docs and the control software they produce
for their clients. The reports include process flow diagrams, so I even do
a bit of drafting.

I, too, am interested in seeing the vast range of industries and projects
list members are involved in.

Win
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net