Color screen captures

Subject: Color screen captures
From: Catherine McNair <cmcnair -at- SPICER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 09:42:38 -0400

Thanks to everyone who wrote with advice on the subject of what color
scheme, what screen capture utility, and what format to use for color screen
captures to be printed on a high-resolution Linotronic in black and white. A
few people asked me to post what I ended up doing.

Since I made the request, my computer has been further upgraded: I now have
a 1 GB hard drive, and Windows 95 with Word 7. This makes file size and
memory management less a consideration for me.

I've therefore set my screen colors to maximize the production of grayscale
images--navy title bar with white letters, light gray dialog boxes and
buttons with black text, and white window backgrounds with black text. I'm
using a combination of Paint, PaintShop Pro, and RoboHelp's Screen Capture
to create grayscale images in the BMP format. I tried 16 color, but I lost
some of the 3-D shading, so I think I'll use 256 shades of gray.

The samples I printed on our relatively low-resolution (600 dpi) Postscript
printer looked pretty good. I think I'll survive my computer upgrades.
Thanks again to all those who responded.

Catherine McNair
<cmcnair -at- spicer -dot- com>
Technical Writer, Spicer Corporation, Kitchener, ON
Employment Manager, STC Southwestern Ontario

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net