Nested (Multi-level) List Structures in MSword 6.0

Subject: Nested (Multi-level) List Structures in MSword 6.0
From: "Fragnito, Vic" <Vic -dot- Fragnito -at- ALLIEDSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 08:48:00 -0700

HELP!!

Does anyone know how to reset the multi-level list identifiers after an
alternate style selection and not have Word re-identify all of the
style.?

We are heavily style based. Our work structures require a nested list
structure similar to below:

(a)
(b)
(1)
(c)
NOTE
(d)
(1)
NOTE
(2)

When all structures are identified through styles, word tends to want to
reset the numbering back to starting points after a different style. If
you change the starting point at the next level, word tends to backward
populate and even if it does not backwards populate, the next invocation
of the style starts at the wrong level and resetting that definitely
resets the previous listing.

We have found crude ways around this as follows:

1. We TAB (yuck) and manually do the list from the point of
renumbering.
2. We place a 1 point invisible paragraph mark to reset the list
numbering everywhere required.

Looking for a less brute force way of dealing with a complex structure
in Word.

Thanks

Vic

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net