Re: It's all Gutenberg's fault... :-)

Subject: Re: It's all Gutenberg's fault... :-)
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 11:14:00 -0600

Anyway, during one of the selected topics, Mr. Horton did indeed talk
about how early manuscripts relied heavily on illustration (both
informative and decorative) until the invention of the printing press
reduced the cost of the text and increased the cost of illustration.

Just curious: Gutenberg's invention resulted in premade blocks that could be
put together in sequence to form words, and re-used (if I recall my history
correctly) when assembling the words for the next page.

Did Horton mean by the comparison that illustrations would soon be composed
the same way, by slapping together pre-drawn elements to compose a larger
picture?

I guess I'm having trouble seeing the aptness of the connection here.

The invention of the electronic equivalent of Gutenberg's printing press was
years ago, and it put graphics and text on an equal footing for the first
time in a long time. But that's old news, not something just now happening.

Maybe I just confuse easily.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124