Re: Importing .MIF files into help?

Subject: Re: Importing .MIF files into help?
From: "Susan Self @ignite" <susan -at- ALSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:16:57 PDT

Beverly White wants to get Frame .MIF files into an unspecified type
of help system:

>We have a number of basic Frame .MIF files that we need to get into our new
>help system. I'm assuming there's no .MIF to .BMP converter since that
>would be too easy. We're actually thinking of taking screen captures using
>our Mac screen capture tool called Flash it and then just saving each screen
>figure as a bitmap. This "solution" seems kind of ugly so before I mess
>with this I thought I'd do a little brain picking. Any suggestions would be
>greatly appreciated.

One way you might approach this is to use WebMaker for your platform
(Mac, Windows, or UNIX). WebMaker uses .MIF files as input and converts
everything in an anchored frame into a .GIF file. The new version, 2.2,
was just released and improves upon the capturing from previous
versions. Then you can use the .GIF files in your help system or use
some graphics conversion tool, like PhotoShop (or ImageMagick or xv on
UNIX) to convert the files to .BMP or whatever. Maybe the image quality
would be better than with your other tool, maybe not. You can download
an evaluation copy of WebMaker and try it out to see. Harlequin's
web site is:

http://www.harlequin.com/

If the image quality is acceptable, one advantage of this method is that
it is fully automated. WebMaker will do all the initial capturing and
conversion for you while you sit and drink your coffee. ;-) It even
runs in batch mode. On UNIX, you can run WebMaker in batch mode and
then create and run a script that uses ImageMagick's conversion tool
to convert all the generated images into a different image format.
If you have a lot of images, this can save a lot of time.

Susan Self
susan -at- thomsoft -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net