Re: ISO 12083

Subject: Re: ISO 12083
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 19:56:00 -0400

>Does anyone know where I can get an electronic copy of
>ISO 12083. This is the standard for electronic publication
>manuscript preparation. Also, is there a web site
>that has ISO or ISO-related publications?

Last I heard, there is no legal way to get free copies (paper or
electronic) of copyrighted material like ISO or ASTM standards. The
organization that publishes them expects us to pay for them. Inconvenient
as that may be, as a writer I feel I should support that.

You might want to check with your local library-public, university or
corporate. The Science Division of our local public library maintains a
collection of engineering (and other) standards that have been purchased or
donated over the years. It includes the complete ASTM and NFPA standards
(updated every year), as well as scattered standards from other
organizations. Unfortunately, they don't have a large budget, and nobody
has donated any ISO standards yet.

I have ordered several ISO standards as background reading for a current
project. When I'm through with them, I'll donate them the library where
they will be available for others to use.

@Kat _______________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Document design / Information services

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net