Peace, love, and techwriting

Subject: Peace, love, and techwriting
From: Melonie Holliman <mrh -at- ABMDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 07:48:45 +0000

Well said, Angela!!

>I know this is going to sound right out of the '60s, but why can't we just
>get along?

I believe in this attitude even though it is hard for me. I am a female,
blonde aggie with a tendency towards absent-mindedness. Somedays, it is
hard to be taken seriously. On top of that, it is a tendency (no, it is
not always the case but it does happen on a regular basis) for engineers
and programmers to think a tech writer cannot possibly understand what
the techies are talking about. Yet, they will tell me how I should
write.

Ergo, the chip on the shoulder. And I want to scream stay off my turf.
And now add it illustrators, marketers, editors, etc. AAAHHHRRRGGGG!!!
However, when I do not give in to "MINE, MINE, MINE" I do produce
much better documentation.

I know my company will NEVER pay for an illustrator (they will barely
pay to produce the documentation). Therefore, I have to do them, in my
limited ability, or not have any. So, any good books on how to produce
good, well-designed illustrations. I would appreciate help from those
professional illustrators.

Thanks,

Melonie

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net