Automated nested lists in Word 6.0, 7.0--Yes you can!

Subject: Automated nested lists in Word 6.0, 7.0--Yes you can!
From: David Mitchell <mitchell -at- SKY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 12:05:21 +0000

We do our lists like this...
(Simulated Normal View with Style Area Width of 1")
------------------------+--------------------------------------------

Style |Text
Heading 7,Step Intro |Paragraph to introduce list(higher level
|heading resets heading numbering of those
|below.)<para>
Heading 8,Numeric Step |1. Heading number text...<para>
Normal Indent 1 | Indented text, no numbering, but it
doesn't interrupt heading numbering!<para>
Heading 8,Numeric Step |2. Heading number text...<para>
Heading 8,Numeric Step |3. Heading number text...<para>
Note Indent 1 | Note: Paragraph numbered text. ("Note"
| is defined in paragraph numbering.)<para>
Heading 8,Numeric Step |4. Heading number text...<para>
Heading 9,Alpha Step | a. Heading number text...<para>
Normal Indent 2 | Indented paragraph that dosen't
| interrupt numbering.<para>
Heading 9,Alpha Step | b. Heading number text (notice that you
can hang the indents...<para>
Heading A,Roman Step | i. Paragraph number text...(since this
| isn't heading numbering, you cannot
| intervene this level with normal
| paragraphs or notes)<para>
Heading A,Roman Step | ii.Paragraph number text...<para>
Heading 9,Alpha Step | c. Heading number text...<para>
Heading 8,Numeric Step |5. Autonumbered text...<para>
Heading 9,Alpha Step | a. Heading number text...(resets to "a."
| because previous paragraph was a
| Heading 8)<para>
Heading 9,Alpha Step | b. Heading number text...<para>
------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Benefits of this approach...
* allows hierarchical lists
* allows cross-referencing to step numbers. See step (insert
cross-reference to a Heading Number).
Drawbacks...
* encourages hierarchical lists
* You have to give up some of Word's precious Heading 1-9 styles.
We use H1-H3 for book structure (parts, chapters, appendicies) and
H4-H6 for subheadings. This allows us to donate H7 to reset list
numbering and use H8-H9 for numeric and alpha steps. Heading A is
a bit of a kludge. It gives us one more level, but it uses
paragraph rather than heading numbering. This means it cannot be
interrupted by another style without experiencing the problems you
are having. It also means we can only go three levels deep without
changing our book structure or finding a new solution.

> Does anyone know how to reset the multi-level list identifiers after an
> alternate style selection and not have Word re-identify all of the
> style.?

> We are heavily style based. Our work structures require a nested list
> structure similar to below:

> (a)
> (b)
> (1)
> (c)
> NOTE
> (d)
> (1)
> NOTE
> (2)

> When all structures are identified through styles, word tends to want to
> reset the numbering back to starting points after a different style. If
> you change the starting point at the next level, word tends to backward
> populate and even if it does not backwards populate, the next invocation
> of the style starts at the wrong level and resetting that definitely
> resets the previous listing.

> We have found crude ways around this as follows:

> 1. We TAB (yuck) and manually do the list from the point of
> renumbering.
> 2. We place a 1 point invisible paragraph mark to reset the list
> numbering everywhere required.

> Looking for a less brute force way of dealing with a complex structure
> in Word.

> Thanks

> Vic

> Post Message: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Get Commands: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "help" in body.
> Unsubscribe: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "signoff TECHWR-L"
> Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

David Mitchell David's Web Spot
mitchell -at- sky -dot- net www.sky.net/~mitchell/index.html

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net