Bicker and Quibble

Subject: Bicker and Quibble
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 23:51:12 -0700

Why do we waste bandwidth on the topic of whether illustrators should
illustrate? The facts of life dictate that writers must become more
versatile. Now nearly anyone who knows which buttons to push can
execute cerditable screen captures. In many manuals these pass for
illustrations. Who needs an illustrator for simple minded stuff like
this?

If the writer has a decent scanner and knows how to use it (button
pushing 102 required), he/she can import photos.

But when we want to manipulate the photo in some way, can we do it?
Probably not, but the illustrator should be able to do it bilndfolded
(figuratively).

When we want to create flowcharts, we can use ABC or something like it
to get decent flowcharts, but can we do it as efficiently as an
illustrator (or highly proficient word processor)? Probably not for
the simple reason that we do it so seldom we haven't developed the same
skill level as those who do it for a living.

In other words, there is a place for both the quick and dirty stuff
most of us can do and the sophisticated stuff only the skilled
professional can do.

Dan Wise
Opinions expressed are mine alone

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net