Implementing SGML

Subject: Implementing SGML
From: Ruth Glaser <ruthg -at- GORETEK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 10:27:25 -0500

Hello SGML Gurus,

After attending a Post-STC Conference Workshop on SGML, I'm armed with
enough knowledge to be a danger to myself and others. :)

I like the concept of repurporsing information, but I still don't understand
if we could actually implement SGML. I'd love to hear others' experiences
implementing SGML, especially in a project similar to my own.

BACKGROUND: We are developing the next generation of our business
application software. It's a modular system for wholesale distributors. It
includes
financial/accounting and inventory management applications. We are not and
will not become an ISO certified company. We do not and will not sell to
governments. Implementing SGML will be to aid our development process; it is
not a requirement from our customers.

PROPOSED SGML APPLICATION: I'd like to use SGML for online help, online
docs, online tutorials, CBT's, paper documentation, etc., because much of
this documentation will contain the same/similar information, and because
currently, our documentation is a nightmare to maintain because of its size
and complexity.

BIG QUESTIONS: Has anyone done something similar? Does this make sense? How
do I integrate SGML and the information development process (e.g.,
developing outlines, online flows, etc.)?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ruth
ruthg -at- goretek -dot- com

PS to Chet,

Please let us know when your book is available and how we can order it.
--
Ruth T. Glaser e-mail: ruthg -at- goretek -dot- com
Goretek Data Systems, Inc. Phone: (612) 639-5043

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net