Exporting Bitmaps from Vector Graphics Prgs (was Re: World's Largest Bug)

Subject: Exporting Bitmaps from Vector Graphics Prgs (was Re: World's Largest Bug)
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 10:56:10 HST

>Seems to me you'd almost be better off just letting the vector package
display its graphic at the desired size, then using a screen-capture
utility to "grab" a bitmap of it. Might be necessary to scroll the
vector image, grab a number of bitmaps, then trim and mosaic them
together to make the final bitmap.<

No, that's the worse thing you could. Then you only get screen resolution
(useless if you're printing it out). And waste a lot of time!

Best thing to do is use the vector prg's ability to scale the desired graphic
to the final printed size, then export it at half the line resolution of your
final output. This is analogous to the process of working with a scanned photo
in a bitmap prg -- you want the original image to be as close to the final size
as possible to avoid moires and other artifacts of resizing/resampling.

JFOA. YMMV. HAND!

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net