Re: Management of Web pages

Subject: Re: Management of Web pages
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 09:45:13 -0500

Sally Yeo writes:
> If anyone has had experience using a document management system to
> manage the creation process on a large Web site with multiple writers, I
> would like to know what tools you use and any comments you have about them.

This is the biggest problem with the Web. File systems are fragile and
impossible to manage when you get to any kind of sophisticated level of
content. Two products I recommend you look into:

1) BASIS+ and WEBServer from Information Dimensions, Inc. (www.idi.org)
2) DynaBase from Electronic Book Technologies (www.ebt.com)

I'm working with BASIS on a project right now. It is a document database with a
Web server interface that will serve up documents directly to the Web. Two key
capabilities that it has are:

.. You replace hard-coded links with database search requests. That means if
somebody moves UNIT_5.HTML to a different part of the Web site, the link need
not be broken. Likewise, if you have a section of your Web site dedicated to,
say, technical bulletins, you don't need to hard code new bulletins into the
hierarchy when you add them to the site. Once they are in the database,
clicking on **Technical Bulletins** brings back all the bulletins currently in
the database.

And both products handle check in/check out, versioning, etc.

Best,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
465 South Street http://www.lds.com
Morristown, NJ 07960 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
201-971-0100 [Phone] 201-971-0103 [FAX]

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net