Re: submenu, sub-menu, or sub menu?

Subject: Re: submenu, sub-menu, or sub menu?
From: Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf <ashrafs -at- RPI -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 21:45:59 -0400

Your not finding the word might mean that good ole MS is calling the thing
something else -- I don't have an MS manual right now, but it might some
poking around in the Guide to the API or whatever that book is called is what
I refer to in a situation like this.

As for whether the word is submenu, sub-menu, sub menu or ... well, after the
fillip on 'functionality', I am slow to try to answer that. I remember asking
my boss [an Type A Programmer type] whether to put in online or on-line and
the answer is still unclear. And actually, the answer, as far as I can see,
would be context-specific [jargon, jargon ...]. Really, if the document is
for harcore techies, I would use online and submenu but on-line and sub-menu
for the lay audience... the day both Webster *and* Collins list both both
words as non-hyphenated.

My tuppence 'orth.

Sabahat.

--
2209 15th Street ashrafs -at- rpi -dot- edu
Troy, NY 12180 www.rpi.edu/~ashrafs

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net