Re: en and em dashes

Subject: Re: en and em dashes
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 08:34:01 -0800

On Tue, 21 May 1996 20:42:34 -0400, Sabahat Iqbal Ashraf wrote:

>For WWW and HTML -- for a while now, I have been using the &#169 and &emdash
>format for special characters in HTML -- yes, I confess, I don't use a tool
>(yet; touch wood though, I *am* looking for a job) and still write HTML "by
>hand".

>Methinks that is part of the HTML standard -- could someone more
>knowledgeable than me chime in on this one? Because if this is part of the
>HTML standard, it should work irrespective of host platform and software as
>well as of browser s/w and h/w.

The catch is, standard or not, this WILL work on most (99%?) HTML
platforms... to display an ASCII character 169. Whether or not that
character will show up as an emdash depends largely on where the viewer
lives and thus what codepage and character set his/her entire system
uses.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery,
is a new metaphor for... reality." -- Queensryche

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or dimension!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net