"Functionality" is the least of our worries

Subject: "Functionality" is the least of our worries
From: Pam <pam -at- SAMMY -dot- PLS -dot- OV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 09:54:30 -0700

Howdy! Can I get some opinions on using the word "functionality?"

As an English major first, and tech writer second, I'll admit that the "cringe
factor" is rather low for that particular word. It's used a lot in software
documentation, and yes, I agree with Paul that it's a word that's "evolved" into
the language and a word I consider to be specific to the computer industry. I can
live with it.

The word that evokes the BIG cringe is "optionally": "Optionally perform steps 3
and 4." Ouch!

Can someone please justify the existence of this word? If not, join me in stopping
its toxic spread.

Pamela Turpin
Just another voice for the ethical treatment of words.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net