Re: Including Screen Captures

Subject: Re: Including Screen Captures
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 17:04:30 GMT

In article <9605231150 -dot- A01566 -at- pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com>, Karla McMaster
<mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM> writes:
|> Bill Hartzer asked:
|> > Has anyone heard of this theory of not including screen
|> > captures in doc for GUI-based software products? Is the
|> > user missing anything by not having screen captures in the
|> > doc?
|>
|> I have never heard of this theory, and I find it difficult to imagine how I
|> would explain concepts related to the screen without having a screen to
which
|> I could refer. But maybe I'm just not imaginitive enough...

I've heard of the theory of using *fewer* screen displays in
documentation for GUI-based interactive products. I remember some
seminar on downsizing with a guy named Korman suggesting that page after
page of screen shots actually inhibited the dissemination of information
in some cases. Depending on your product, the type of document, and your
audience, the number of shots you could eliminate would vary.

Given the difficulties *I* know about in using screen shots in doc, the
more you could eliminate, the better. I doubt you could deep six all of
'em, but it might be possible, given the right mix of factors.
--
Len Olszewski My opinions; you go get your own.
saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net