Re: SGML vs Frame

Subject: Re: SGML vs Frame
From: Averil Strauss <averil -at- LEGENDCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 17:27:03 -0400

>We currently use FM5 on UNIX for 90% of our docs. I'm wondering if
>we would miss some things should we dump Frame and do everything
>with SGML. I can see a lot of advantages for sending output to
>paper, online help, CD, etc. Also for using some type of document
>management database.

>Just a little about what we do:
>At present we have operator manuals for a couple of product lines
>which must be updated for each customer. But a large
>percent of the content stays the same. We have a lot of information
>for each customer which moves through several documents: order info,
>functional spec, operator manual, training material, acceptance doc.

>Why would we choose to stay with Frame instead of making the switch?

Sounds as though you can make really good use of Frame's conditional text. I
am not aware that SGML accomodates the feature, but I could be wrong. Better
ask. We use the feature regularly.

Also it sounds as though you can use On Demand printing/imposition
technology (putting 2 or more pages on each side of the sheet). This
definitely works with output from Frame (at least our product works with
Frame output), but may not with the SGML package.

Averil
Legend Communications Inc.
Developers of PostScript Software

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net