Re: Jobs, the industry, etc

Subject: Re: Jobs, the industry, etc
From: Tony Rocco <tony_rocco -at- NAVIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 17:58:59 U

RE>>Jobs, the industry, etc. 5/23/96

I am not interested in applying, but I am heartened at hearing of the demand
for the services of technical writers. Thanks for giving us a management
perspective on this issue. It wasn't too long ago that things looked a little
bleak, but demand seems to have picked up considerably. May it remain so for
a long time to come.

--------------------------------------
Date: 5/23/96 13:33
To: Tony Rocco
From: Don Sargent
In article <31A4A6FA -at- msmail -dot- radisys -dot- com> GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM (Garret
Romaine) writes:

> From: GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM (Garret Romaine)
> Newsgroups: list.techwriting
> Date: 23 May 1996 18:00:15 -0000

> I'm wondering how other managers are faring out there in the rest of the
> technical writing industry. Right now the Portland, Oregon area is
> absolutely hopping. As employment information manager for the local STC
> chapter, I'm tracking the following:

I am having very little luck filling our open positions. Two
years ago, I received almost 80 resumes in response to my
call for resumes. About 10% of these resulted in an interview of
some kind. This time around, I received about 25 resumes which
resulted in a few interviews.

Typically, we hire experienced people who are technically savvy
and have experience or coursework in programming. In an
attempt to generate more applicants, I recently expanded
the search to include technical communicators of all levels who
do not necessarily have the technical knowledge we used to seek.
So far, this change has had no impact.

Does anyone have any advice? Will someone please feel sorry
for me? :)

Would someone like to apply? My post for the vacancy appeared
on this list a week or so ago. I will post it again in a moment.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net