On Supply and Demand and On Being "The Authority"

Subject: On Supply and Demand and On Being "The Authority"
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 23:37:08 -0700

1. Garrett, the estimable employment chair for our STC chapter notes that
demand is outpacing supply for technical writers in this area (Portland,
OR/Vancouver WA). Others say this is true where they are.

Perhaps this is a good time to revisit the issue of how jobs are posted. A
while back we discussed the many job postings that go into excruciating
detail about what *you*, the applicant, are to bring to the party but, in
the salary line say something like "competitive" or "depending on
qualifications."

If I were looking to fill positions quickly I'd dispense with that nonsense
and include the salary or hourly rate in the posting.

2. Re: the Kittridge story (the guy who says "I must remember to change
that" when a student uses the dictionary to show he erred):

Professor Michael Parente tells the story of Winston Churchill telling his
Tory companions:

"Gentlemen, history shall be kind to us. I know, because I intend
to write it."

See, all this scribbling isn't always for naught!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net