Re: On Supply and Demand

Subject: Re: On Supply and Demand
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- IONET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 07:22:21 PDT

And another thing about tech writer supply and demand...

--- John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM> wrote:
>while back we discussed the many job postings that go into excruciating
>detail about what *you*, the applicant, are to bring to the party but, in
>the salary line say something like "competitive" or "depending on
>qualifications."

YES! Put salary or rate into the ads. Not too long ago I
sent a resume to a company that had been trying to fill
a position for about one year. They could have written
the requirements while looking at my resume. We talked
briefly and they concluded that I was probably the
right candidate and also probably too expensive.

Yup, I wasn't willing to take a pay cut to relocate
to a city with a higher cost of living. If they'd
said what the "competitive" salary range was, we could
all have saved some time.

On the same general topic, it doesn't appear to me that
the ever-increasing list of need-to-have or nice-to-have
requirements are consistently matched by salary expectations.
For a job to be a good fit, EVERYONE has to benefit (win-win).

Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM> wrote:
>Does anyone have a feeling for the argument that too many good writers are
>perfectly happy as contractors? That by working offsite, tending their own
>hours, and avoiding a lot of corporate baggage, they are happy to ride out
>occasional bumps in the road because they are their own boss?

Yes, I'd say that's completely accurate. The "security" offered by a regular
job (going captive) is a fiction, IMHO. Many people will consider
going captive, but the payoff (either in direct compensation,
indirect compensation, or rewarding projects) has to offset
the contracting advantages that you just outlined.

Eric

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net