Re: Jobs, the industry, etc.

Subject: Re: Jobs, the industry, etc.
From: John Gough <gough -at- AUSTIN -dot- ASC -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 12:38:31 -0500

Don Sargent <don -dot- sargen -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM> wrote:

>Typically, we hire experienced people who are technically savvy
>and have experience or coursework in programming. In an
>attempt to generate more applicants, I recently expanded
>the search to include technical communicators of all levels who
>do not necessarily have the technical knowledge we used to seek.
>So far, this change has had no impact.

>Does anyone have any advice? Will someone please feel sorry
>for me? :)

1. Invest more in the search. Use a headhunter, take out
ads in areas that have good concentrations of TWs
(RTP, Atlanta, Pittsburgh are good places near you)

2. Use the net (actually, I've seen your ads there)

3. Relocate the job site. I'm serious. I know of some
companies that have small sites here in Austin
mostly because they can't get some of the top talent
to relocate to places like Houston or San Jose.
In the short term, you could try dangling telecommuting
as an incentive. I personally wouldn't want to live
in the Washington metro area, though I am fond of
visiting it. No geographical offense intended, really!

4. Raise the pay.

Yes, techwhirlers, it's time to remember
our economics classes: demand is up, supply is short.
It's time to demonstrate our obeisance to the Invisible
Hand and raise our rates. Are they offering 45?
Ask for 55 and six weeks of vacation.

You know in your heart that you, an accomplished
and technically minded Writer of Writers, can
personally account for tenth-point swings in the
Productivity Index just by organizing that WinHelp
file to reduce user inquiry time from 22 minutes
to 3. This is the age of Value Pricing--if you
can account for $300,000/yr in value, you are
well worth a $10,000 increase.

In the Age of Oil, the wildcatter ruled.
In the Age of Computers, engineers and
programmers ruled (Silicon Valley in the 70s/80s)
It's the Age of Information. Guess who gets the
throne now?

<Optional maniacal laugh here>

A Friday fantasy (but there's truth lurking in there)...

John
--
John Gough gough -at- austin -dot- asc -dot- slb -dot- com
Technical Consultant johngough -at- aol -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net