Printing odd page sequences in Word

Subject: Printing odd page sequences in Word
From: Eric Brown <eric_brown -at- SFU -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:19:38 -0800

A few days back I asked if a "saddlestitch" page sequence could be printed
from Word -- in other words whether two pages could be printed side by
side on legal paper, in a page sequence that printed the front and rear
cover on the first page, and so on so the last pages pritned would be the
recto/verso center pages of a booklet.

Several people indicated they'd been stumped by the same problem (at least
I don't feel too stupid!), so here are the solutions I've tried and found
successful:

The WOPR utilities are shareware available for downloading on the Web
(search for WOPR, or Woody's Office Power Pack); shareware fee approx. $50.
The booklet printing utility works like a charm, and there are several
other utilities also included.

ClickBook is a print utility devoted to this kind of thing. It costs $50; a
demo version is available on the Web. The WOPR people actually recommend
ClickBook for books that are too large for WOPR to handle.

Some others wrote with solutions that cost significantly more. One tip that
might help you is to use MS Publisher to print with -- since I don't have
MS Publisher I couldn't try it out.

For my project WOPR did the trick, although I was at the hairy edge of its
capabilities (or my RAM's capacity) with my mid-size, copiously illustrated
book.

Next time? I don't want to have a next time for this kind of situation. The
client was all set to print on a Docutech, than went cheap and decided to
print it off his laser printer and photocopy the result. And the result
_does_ look like a cheap, photocopied manual. Ugh.

But thanks to everyone for helping me out of this jam.

Eric Brown
Marketing Communications
869 Drayton Street
North Vancouver BC V7L 2C2