Re: project management info

Subject: Re: project management info
From: Jacob Matthan <findians -at- NETPPL -dot- FI>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 20:39:39 +0300

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Stephen Victor wrote:
> However, when your students leave the ivy-covered walls of the academy,
> it's quite likely they'll have to use a number of different platforms,
> even (shudder!) PCs. In deliberately excluding Windows applications from
> your classes, you could be doing your students a disservice.

My job is to teach Project management and to teach them to handle tools
which gets their jobs done quickly and efficiently. I have a very tight
schedule of lectures and cannot afford totinker with things that do not
work - whatever the real world situation. The usual position is that
students are quite familiar with the PC platform and probably most of
them have not even seen the Mac platform - so that when they see me
working effortlessly with the Mac they get intrigued. I ask them to try
the PC platform tools in their spare time - and by the time of the next
lecture theey are ready to shify to the Mac for the project management
work having being completely flumoxed by the lack of power in the PC
platform projct management software that they have played around with.

The Project Manager has to usually make time - not lose it and it would
be foolish of me to teach them techniques that would grind their projects
to a halt for want of an IS to sort out their computer problems. They can
pick up a 4MB old Mac PowerBook 170 for $500 and do the best project management
scheduling they want - so that is the real world for them. In fact the
program that I ran on my MacPlus in 198,6 with 1 MB RAM, which you can
pick up for $200 is good enough for even the most complex project
management work even today having a far between GUI interface than any
Windows software available today.

Regards

Jacob
Oulu, Finland