doc to help theory

Subject: doc to help theory
From: Angela <amoore -at- SOFTDESK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 17:06:49 -0700

Greetings and salutations!

We're working on a manual that we plan to convert to help very shortly, =
and after a bit of research I think we have the concept figured out.=20

First we write the manual in Word 7 using the Masterdoc (is that a sin?) =
complete with toc and index. Next, we convert to help using Robohelp, =
which is really a one time event. We would follow up by making any =
changes in both the Help and Doc version at the same time.

Because of the nature of the beast, the manual and help are two very =
different things and need to be maintained separately. Is this pretty =
much how everyone feels? I know Doc-2-Help tries to maintain Help and =
doc from the same source, but it seems that the help would be very =
limited. When I made my sample help file I had so many jumps and hot =
spots, I couldn't imagine maintaining them within the same source as the =
doc. I'm pretty sure Robohelp won't let you *hide* things when printing =
a manual, you must convert to docs or help.

I also want to make the help context sensitive, which I believe will be =
even more difficult to maintain.

Are there any other feelings on this?
Thanks,
-angela

)|(
__^__ =20
(o o) =20
( ___ )
Angela Moore amoore -at- softdesk -dot- com
(Does not express the opinion of Softdesk)
"Be careful about reading health books, you may
die of a misprint." - Mark Twain
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net