How to get FrameMaker, RoboHELP experience?

Subject: How to get FrameMaker, RoboHELP experience?
From: Chuck Beck <cbeck -at- BGNET -dot- BGSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 22:50:47 -0400

Fellow TECHWR_Lers,

I have been following the discussions on online help and use of help tools
with a fair amount of interest. I have been equally interested in the
threads dealing with FrameMaker. And I am certainly interested in the job
postings, since, as a second-year grad student, I plan to be entering the
tech writing job market in earnest about a year from now.

It has become apparent to me that, of all the software tools out there, two
of them that are most in demand by employers (and most often endorsed by
many of you on this list as being _really valuable tools_) are FrameMaker
and RoboHELP.

My problem is this: As a grad student, I am not independently wealthy, as
you may well imagine. I would very much like to get some experience with
both of these tools, but I cannot afford to buy them (at $895 and $499,
respectively, how many people *can*?). The university I attend does not have
either of them in any of their computer labs. My internship employer does
not have them on their system. So, how am I to get any experience with them?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Chas.Beck
cbeck -at- bgnet -dot- bgsu -dot- edu

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net