Re: From Tech Writer to?

Subject: Re: From Tech Writer to?
From: "Parks, Beverly L." <parksb -at- HUACHUCA-EMH7 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 11:37:00 MST

Bill Hartzer[SMTP:XBJH%mimi -at- magic -dot- itg -dot- ti -dot- com] wrote
<snip> >>>
First and foremost, designing web pages (coding html) is only a skill
(like
any other technical writing skill) that a technical writer should add to
their areas of expertise. In my book, coding HTML, writing online help,
coding SGML, using MS Word and other DTP packages, taking screen
captures, indexing, etc. are all one in the same: they are skills that
all great technical writers should have. Writing a web page takes no
more skill than coding SGML or writing online help. <snip>
<<<

==========
I both agree with Bill and disagree with him. Yes, using HTML is a skill
that all tech writers should probably acquire. However, beyond that the
argument becomes the same as the argument about tech writing and desktop
publishing. Knowing HTML no more makes you a Web page designer than
knowing Interleaf makes you a desktop publisher. Some people--who may be
excellent writers, technical or otherwise--just don't have the knack for
DESIGN. I have viewed Web pages created by technical writers that are
really crap, design-wise.

Bev Parks (flame bait, I'm sure)
parksb -at- huachuca-emh7 -dot- army -dot- mil
http://www.primenet.com/~bparks

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net