Re: clear thinking/writing

Subject: Re: clear thinking/writing
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:55:22 HST

Also remember that there are *other* ways of thinking than the verbal, word &
writing method -- visual, mathematical, musical, kinaesthetic, etc. Someone who
thinks visually may not be able to write worth beans, but can communicate very
clearly in a drawing or diagram. Someone who cannot follow the written-down
steps of a process may be able to learn it flawlessly just by watching someone
else do it once.

I suspect we writers tend toward the verbal, so it may be easy to neglect the
other ways.

Just a brief spout of information gained in college, many long years ago.
Thanks for the reference to the General Semantics book. NOI, YMMV, and HAND!

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
From: miki.d.magyar @ BANGATE1.TEK.COM
Date: 06/06/96 11:19:24 AM
Subject: clear thinking/writing

Thom Remington wrote: "... I *do* have to wonder if the ones who can't
write also have similar difficulty in _thinking_ clearly. It seems to me
that the two are inextricably linked....."

YES! YES! For more on the relation between thought, speech, and behavior,
see General Semantics (not to be confused with the academic field of
Semantics), especially Wendell Johnson's book, People In Quandaries. The
International Society for General Semantics has a Website, puts out a
quarterly journal, and publishes many interesting and useful books and
booklets. What does this have to do with tech writing (she asks
rhetorically)? Everything. It provides a systematic approach to analyzing
information and the communication process. Good stuff. Go read.

Miki
the (entire) Documentation Department - but only for 2 more weeks!

(And a worthy documentation department she is, I'm sure! <G>)

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net