Re: Help for Doc2Help

Subject: Re: Help for Doc2Help
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 03:01:03 -0800

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:30:14 -0600, Brenda Burnett wrote:

>John, I don't know how large your original file is but I work with one that's
>about 170 pages with *tons* of graphics (the final help file is currently just
>over 1.5Mb). The only way I can compile is to break down the "make into help"
>routines and run them separately. Also, I understand that D2H now suggests that
>you not run minimized. My biggest problem is "out of memory" errors.

Unfortunately, John - and you - are running into a longstanding design
limitation of the Windows environment: the system resource heap. As I
recall, there are only three 64k resource areas, and once they're used
up, you start getting "out of memory" errors, no matter much memory
(physical or virtual) you may have.

John's client insists on staying with Win3.1, which limits him even
more. But even with Win95, the source of the problem remains. A
native version of the program may improve things somewhat, as Win95
moves more of its operations out of the heaps into the 32-bit address
space, but the design flaw itself still exists.

Probably John's best option to get around the problem is to close down
everything he can get away with closing down when running this compile,
thereby freeing up as much of the heap space as possible.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery,
is a new metaphor for... reality." -- Queensryche

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or dimension!

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net