"Kill" fees in contracts?

Subject: "Kill" fees in contracts?
From: Gail Bergan <gbergan -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:10:14 -0500

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has experience including "kill" fees in
their contracts. Specifically, a charge that is some compensation
should a project fall through the cracks through no fault of the tech.
writer--more along the lines of the company losing interest or having
a lack of committment to the project. I've experienced this recently
and it really took a toll, because in anticipation of being
unavailable for a considerable length of time, I turned away other
work. Now this company is talking to me again about a new project, and
I'm wary.

Has anyone had any success at getting companies to accept kill fees as
part of the contract? What percentage of the contract is customary?
How do you go about enforcing it if you need to?
Gail R. Bergan
Technical Communications Consulting
Houston, Texas
gbergan -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com