Re: FrameMaker and OS/2

Subject: Re: FrameMaker and OS/2
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:57:46 -0800

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996 15:45:58 +0800, DIGEST Bruce Byfield wrote:

> First, my thanks to the four or five people who replied to my original
>posting on the subject.
> Second, if anybody is interested, FrameMaker 5.01 will *.not* run under
>the current version of OS/2. As I suspected, it uses a newer version of Win32s
>than the current OS/2 supports.
> However, Merlin, the new version of OS/2, which is now in beta, should
>support the version of Win32s which FrameMaker needs. Whether it will run
>FrameMaker, of course, is another story.

What version does it require? Support for Win32s 1.25b exists for
Warp, although it's officially only a "beta" patch; out-of-the-box Warp
only support v1.15. Merlin's Win32s support is a "GA" release of the
v1.25b patch, AFAIK, meaning if FrameMaker works in one, it should work
in the other.

If not, or if it does something particularly cheezy like introducing a
buncha VxDs, then Adobe deserves to be severly slapped around for
simultaneously abandoning the native OS/2 version while breaking the
Windows version so it won't work under OS/2.

Your friend and mine,
Matt