Re: CD-ROM

Subject: Re: CD-ROM
From: Bob Morrisette <Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:55:30 -0700

>It pains me to have to point out to *technical* writers that the term
>"CD-ROM" is an acronym for Compact Disk-Read-Only-Memory. It follows
>that a CD-ROM drive is the engine that makes the disk turn around and
>operates the read head.

>And a WORM drive is the engine that operates the medium that is Write
>Once Read Many.

>Sheesh!

>Elna Tymes
>Los Trancos Systems

*Technical* writers should know that CD-ROM is an acronym for
compact disc read-only memory. An optically read disc is not a disk.
The spelling comes from the original CD standard by Sony and Philips
and is used in 95% of the current publications and ads.

Bob Morrisette
writer -at- sabu -dot- EBay -dot- sun -dot- com