Re: on / of

Subject: Re: on / of
From: "Kenneth M. Nuckols" <knuck -at- BESTBUY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:52:16 -0500

At 09:28 AM 6/27/96 +0000, Claire Kapiri wrote:
>In a Reference Manual that I am updating I have come accross the sentence:

>'This function produces a report on the transactions entered on the present
>working day.'

>Is it correct to use the construction '..a report on the ..' or '.. a report
>of the ..'?

Claire,

I think it depends upon what the context is, doesn't it. If the
report simply shows the transactions for the day, then I would say use 'of.'
If the report gives information ABOUT the transactions (statistical data,
averages, totals, etc.) then 'on' might well be appropriate. So, did I do a
good job of giving you an answer without answering the question? :-)

Ken
Kenneth M. Nuckols Best Buy Co, Inc.
Corporate Trainer 7075 Flying Cloud Dr.
knuck -at- BestBuy -dot- com Eden Prarie, MN 55433
nuckler -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (612) 947-2518

"I am McMahon of Borg -- you may have already been assimilated!"
-- Anonymous