Making the reader work hard and not enjoy it -Reply

Subject: Making the reader work hard and not enjoy it -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:46:08 -0700

Eric wrote:
>>On the other hand, if more technical writing were:
clear
concise
accurate
enjoyable to read
less soporific more people would *read the documentation* and
thus would learn to program their VCRs.

On the other hand, Eric, if more writing were clear and concise, the
reading would naturally be more enjoyable and less soporific than
whatever the alternative was. Accuracy and completeness (you didn't
mention completeness) help also.

It's interesting because my manager, speaking from the viewpoint of
the company, wants me to first focus on accuracy and completeness
before making sure the information is easy to find and understand,
and the language polished.

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California