Re: the Scope of TW

Subject: Re: the Scope of TW
From: Doug Montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 10:22:53 PST

Scott Metsger (smetsger -at- voicenet -dot- com) asks:
Anybody do medical or scientific writing?

We do. At my particular company site there are 6 of us who do the
following:
- Write and edit technical reports (to support process validation)
- Edit and write procedures for manufacturing of bioengineered
products (vaccines, diagnostics, therapeutics)
- Edit and write batch production records for ditto

We work with the doc users, all of whom are educated, but some for
whom English is a second language.

Training is a component of Good Manufacturing Practices, so we work
with the training department, as well as the auditing department
(which discovers errors in the way a batch record may have been filled
out by the operator).

We work as well with various levels of product managers and QA
personnel, who operate as document approvers.

We maintain all the document tracking and coordination activities.
The non-writing or -editing components of this job often overwhelm the
TW component (so what else is new?). And if 6 sounds like a large
staff, we're constantly overwhelmed with work.

We use computers every day. Don't write ABOUT them at all.

Doug Montalbano doug_montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com
speaking from (and about) -- but not on behalf of -- Chiron Corp.