Scope of TW/VCRs

Subject: Scope of TW/VCRs
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 22:30:31 -0700

I am an independent who has done a little computer stuff but much prefers
developing processes, policies, and procedures, particularly for
manufacturing or operations organizations. I also help folks with
marketing, process mapping and reengineering, campaign literature etc. etc.

As for VCRs, I've always thought that they make a particularly poor examplar
of the state of both TW and technical literacy among the population at
large. The solution to programming the VCR was obvious long before it
became a reality (codes for shows that you just enter into the VCR and let
*it* figure out when it needs to turn on to tape it).

In fact, I bet a cookie that before too long we'll have VCR-like devices
that will work like news clipping services. You'll teach your machine which
subjects interest you, and in which priority, and it will scan the channels
that it is connected to and automatically record shows that meet your
criteria. There will be work for indexers coding in keywords and actors and
directors names into each show. But there won't be much work for writers
because it will all be pretty intuitive. You'll load a tape every day (if
you have lots of search choices) or maybe it will hold two or three tapes in
reserve for you and swap them as need be. Or perhaps not tape at all, but
writable CDs.

Best of all, you will also be able to do "NOT" choices--i.e., your machine
will be programmable to avoid Rush Limbaugh and Pat Robertson! Say
hallelujah friends!!

Just some musings on the future.

To bring this back to scope of TW, I think the relationship to TW is that
many of us are making a living explaining technology because the technology
is so bad that it needs a lot of explaining. I like to concentrate my
efforts on areas where my livelihood doesn't depend on the technology being
so stupid and I won't be harmed by its improvement..

John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)
The Bill of Rights -- The ORIGINAL Contract with America
Beware of Imitations. Accept No Substitutes. Insist on the Genuine Articles.
(t shirts with the above saying available, send e-mail for info)