Re: Submission/Submittal

Subject: Re: Submission/Submittal
From: Kent Newton <kentn -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 20:50:00 PDT

Someone, quoted the American Heritage Dictionary:
>>Submission
>>1) The act of submitting to the power of another 2) The state of being
>>submissive or compliant 3) The act of submitting something for
consideration

>>Submittal
>>1) The condition of having yielding or surrendering (oneself) to the
will or
>>authority of another 2) The act of subjecting to some condition or
process
>>3) Something committed to the consideration or judgement of another

To which Richard Mateosian replied:
>Makes it pretty clear that a submission is an act or state, not an
object.
>My manuscript can't, by these definitions, be a submission.

>I wouldn't refer to it as "my submittal" either, because that sounds odd
>me.

>That leaves "the manuscript I sent you" as my choice. ...RM

Just thought I'd point out that part of the third definition for
submission was left out. The complete third definition reads:

3. a. The act of submitting something for consideration. b. Something so
submitted: read three fiction manuscripts and other such submissions.

Therefore, submission could be used to refer to the item which was
submitted, and not just the act of submitting something.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.
kentn -at- metrix-inc -dot- com