Re: Object-Oriented Development and Documentation

Subject: Re: Object-Oriented Development and Documentation
From: John Hacunda <jhacunda -at- IDS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 13:42:53 -0500

>Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 17:44:11 -0500
>From: Matthew Danda <dandam -at- 1STNET -dot- NET>
>Subject: Object-Oriented Development and Documentation

>Hello Techwhirlers:

>After becoming totally immersed in object-oriented (O-O) development over
>the past 8 weeks, I am curious to hear from other writers who have been in
>similar situations.

>I would not recommend this responsibility to a generic technical writer,
>since it requires a great deal of systems analysis and design and
>comparitively little writing. Although the writer does not need to become a
>programmer to participate in O-O design, a strong understanding of the
>methodology is needed to facilitate the production of the extensive
>documentation generated. The writer must have a strong interest and desire
>to learn, study, and participate in the development of the models.

>Has anyone out there had similar experiences? Do you agree or disagree with
>my conclusions?

Hi Matt,

I was involved in writing OOA/OOD documentation in my last position. The
audience for the manuals was primarily systems analysts and software
engineers. To prepare for this assignment (and over the course of two
years) I attended several OO methodology and C++ classes.

I agree with your assessment of the degree of involvement needed to
successfully write about this technology. It's difficult to "wing it" without
a thorough understanding of OO concepts and some experience using
the tools to perform some "test" system analysis.

Enjoy your challenging assignment,

John
John Hacunda - Technical Publications Tel: (401) 683-6100 x474
Promptus Communications Fax: (401) 683-6105
207 High Point Ave. E-mail:
jhacunda -at- ids -dot- net
Portsmouth, RI 02871 USA URL:
www.promptus.com/promptus