sans serif vs serif fonts

Subject: sans serif vs serif fonts
From: CARYN_RIZELL -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 08:37:07 -0700

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
Hi!

It has been my practice over the years to use sans serif fonts for
headings (Arial or Helvetica) and serif fonts (Times New Roman, etc)
for text, when writing books.

Now I see that Microsoft has changed this model in their latest books
and has started using serif fonts for both headings and text.
Although they do use some sans serif fonts for headings, but not
usually the level 1 head styles.

What is the prevailing opinion on this?

I am certainly willing to change this if there is a good reason for
it. What are other people doing?

Thanks

Caryn Rizell
caryn_rizell -at- hp -dot- com