Re: Page numbering conundrum

Subject: Re: Page numbering conundrum
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 12:58:39 -0700

Rikki,

This sounds like tech writer hell!

You probably have virtually no budget to purchase a good computer,
a scanner, and some high-quality optical character recogntion (OCR)
software. Am I right?

The beauty of documents printed in the ancient ways was that it's in
fixed pitch type, which makes it easier to scan. Of course, if the pages
are damaged in any way, then scanning doesn't work well.

As far as I can tell, there's no inexpensive or clever way out of your
situation. Companies that once handled large volumes of paper, such as
Glaxo, where I used to work, have spent millions of dollars on conversion
tools and electronic publishing systems.

Good luck.

-Mike
--

Michael Andrew Uhl, Lead Technical Writer (uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin, Primary Support Contractor to US EPA